| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » basic adjustments of mirrors for Mark 25

Author Topic: basic adjustments of mirrors for Mark 25
mattgerm

- posted September 18, 2014 02:32 PM      Profile for mattgerm           Edit/Delete Post 
after purchasing the Mark 25 I have had difficulty in getting my beam converger to adjust properly. I square the index mirror, and that adjustment seems to be OK until I try to get the beam converger to align. I run out of mirror adjustment on the horizon mirror before I get both images to align.

The only way to get both images to align on the beam converger is to play with the index mirror adjustment while adjusting the horizon mirror. I eventually get both images to align but going back to check the Index mirror adjustment (after aligning both images) and the index mirror adjustment is way off.

Suggestions at what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

David Burch

- posted September 18, 2014 08:21 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
The main reference we have for this process is our book How to Use Plastic Sextants.

The first question would be is how far away is the horizon you are using for reference. This should be several miles at least.

next step would be to check the reveal on each of the mirrors. That is, before looking into the scope, check that each mirror has about the same amount of glass width showing on all four sides of each mirror.

Also if this looks right, then give each of the mirrors a flick or two to see if they are settled in... no harder than you would flick your nose.

after confirming each of these, then please describe more specifically what you are doing to make this adjustment.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation