| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » mark 25 adjustment

Author Topic: mark 25 adjustment
mattgerm

- posted September 30, 2014 05:57 PM      Profile for mattgerm           Edit/Delete Post 
David,

After reading your advice I thought for sure the problem would be solved. I was using a horizon maybe a mile away, and a vertical pole only several hundred feet away.

Went to the beach, used a horizon and the stack of a power plant about 9 or 10 miles away, but still couldn't get the beam converger images to line up. I ran out of adjustment on the horizon mirror before the images aligned.

What next???

David Burch

- posted September 30, 2014 06:28 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked the perpendicularity of the mirror that we show using two large dice in the book? do not need dice for this, can use the arc itself.
David Burch

- posted September 30, 2014 10:03 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
tomorrow i will post a picture of the reveal issue to be sure that is understood.
David Burch

- posted October 03, 2014 08:49 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
The yellow lines mark what i refer to as the reveal. Does it look to you by eye that this reveal is even all around the mirror?

David Burch

- posted October 03, 2014 08:50 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
here was a reply in another topic that i am just moving here to keep the discussion together.

David,

If you mean did I adjust the index mirror as per page 4 of the sextant manual, yes. That actually lines up nicely.

To get the images on the beam converger to line up I can play with both the horizon mirror and the index mirror and eventually get them to converge, but then the index mirror is way out of square.

Not sure what else to do on this one. Awaiting your response.

Mattgerm

David Burch

- posted October 03, 2014 08:56 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
I am talking about figure 1-12 the plastic sextant book.
David Burch

- posted October 08, 2014 12:44 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a post that was a new topic, that is part of this one, so we are moving it to here....
=============
Dave,
For some reason the copy of Plastic Sextants I have on my laptop would not open. Consequently I cannot look up page 12. As fare as the picture goes, I can adjust the mirror to get roughly even edge of the glass showing all around, but of course the beam converger at that point is no where near aligned.

Even using this as a "start" point, and then trying to get the beam converger to align doesn't work.

I was thinking of removing the mirrors to see if maybe something was wedged between the glass and the frame preventing the mirror from adjusting. Unless you have another suggestion.

Matt Germann

David Burch

- posted October 08, 2014 12:44 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
You could do that, but it should not be necessary.

where are the screw adjustments on each of these at this time? are they roughly equal, or is one way in and tight and others, or one, way out and loose?

also if you do take them out, then be careful with the springs, as they can go flying when pried open.... though one thing nice about the Davis instruments is every single replaceable part can be purchased and the replacement parts are not expensive.

also... down the line, if you purchased this one from us, you would have this option: send it back to us and we will check it here. if it is ok (leaving us to try to figure out why you see what you are seeing) then we will send it back to you and have to charge shipping.

If it is defective, we will send you a replacment.

Final point, the ebook should open. you are welcome to call here when you are in front of your computer and we can track down that issue over the phone.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation