| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Star and constellation identification book

Author Topic: Star and constellation identification book
JohnG

- posted November 02, 2014 04:09 PM      Profile for JohnG           Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago I purchased the second edition of H. A. Rey's (yes the Curious George author) book "The Stars, A New Way to See Them" to help teach my kids the constellations. There are also many great star maps in the book set up as the left page is just the stars by magnitude on a particular date and time and the right page is the stars with his helpful interpretation of their shape. These are followed by similar charts from northern, north tropical, south tropical, and southern view points. The illustrations of technical topics such as sidreal time in the last third of the book are the most comprehensible that I've seen.
David Burch

- posted November 03, 2014 09:35 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the note. We will have a look at this... however, I must quickly add that sidereal time is not a concept we use in the practice of celestial navigtion, but i will try to find the book to see what he says about others we might use.

I recall another book of his on star id from some time ago that i remember as quite good.

Thanks again.

David Burch

- posted November 03, 2014 09:47 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
There are numerous copies of this book at Amazon that are basically free except for shipping, i.e. total cost about $4. I am sure readers will learn from this. we will give more of a report back when our copy arrives.

thanks again... i had forgotten about that book.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation