| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » US Navy returns to celestial navigation

Author Topic: US Navy returns to celestial navigation
vandy

- posted October 14, 2015 02:58 PM      Profile for vandy           Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this article today....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11931403/US-navy-returns-to-celestial-navigation-amid-fears-of-computer-hack.html

David Burch

- posted October 14, 2015 08:07 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the notice.

Here is the longer story on this subject:

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/naval_academy/ph-ac-cn-celestial-nav igation-1014-20151009-story.html

This is an interesting summary, and much of it close to the truth, although it is based on misinformation about what took place earlier... which indeed make a lot of press at the time.... and sure enough they repeat that story here as well.

The Naval Academy never stopped teaching cel nav, they just switched to all calculator solutions... using in fact the calculator we developed here at Starpath. Looks like maybe they will talk about the basics a bit more now.

Also, even more close to home. The Navigation Foundation did not "disband" in 2002. It simply closed its non-profit status in the state of MD at that time. The activity and contact with the Foundation is remains documented at www.navigationfoundation.com. In fact, it was just recently that all of the valuable newsletters of the Foundation were made open to the public. The Director of the Foundation remains Douglas R. Davies, son the founder Admiral Thomas Davies. Activities and any form of "membership" have been postponed, but not abandoned.

Also I might add that responsible merchant marine academies have and continue to teach celestial navigation, as it is indeed required to pass any advanced USCG license exam. I would guess that the reference to the USCG Academy is likely exaggerated as well. Do they really want to train cadets for sea service who could not even pass their own exams for a license.

I am afraid we are getting here a second dose of sensationalism that makes popular press. The vulnerability of GPS has been extremely well known and written about for many years... long before the words cyber security were invented.

Jackspass

- posted December 07, 2015 02:48 AM      Profile for Jackspass           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard rumors about this; I was really disappointed to find out that the Navy didn't teach CelNav when I first enlisted as a quartermaster. I'd like to find out when "they" intend on bringing CelNav back to the enlisted ranks. It is well and good that the officers get to learn it, but the vast majority of navigators, in my experience, are enlisted sailors. I was lucky enough to get a chief that remembers how to do it and learn from him - but it took me 6 years in the Navy to even hold a sextant
David Burch

- posted December 07, 2015 11:00 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
I will have to check further, or learn more about the range of training options, but I know two navy quartermasters who learned cel nav as an important part of their navy training.

There might be related information in the introductions to the many navy manuals on cel nav, most of which are online.

Jackspass

- posted December 07, 2015 11:42 AM      Profile for Jackspass           Edit/Delete Post 
David,

I know it used to be a major part of training; both of my superiors (QM1 and Chief) did it as soon as they got to technical school. When I became a QM in 2011 (I previously had a job in aviation) CelNav was no longer a requirement.

On the ship we have Pubs 229 & 249, Pub 9 (Bowditch), the current and next years Nautical Almanacs, and a copy of Dutton's.

Aside from that I personally purchased and donated two books to the ship: "Celestial Navigation in the GPS Age" and an older book called "Celestial Navigation" that was published by a Brittish navigator; each has proved useful in my study. (I also purchased a "Long Term Almanac" from Star Path)

I believe the information can still be found in the older generations of sailors, but it definitely isnt a requiremnt for the newer guys right now.

Jackspass

- posted December 07, 2015 11:49 AM      Profile for Jackspass           Edit/Delete Post 
David,

On an unrelated note, I have a question specifically for you and was wondering if there is a way I can send you a private message?

David Burch

- posted December 08, 2015 12:24 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
[email protected] can be forwarded to me.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation