| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Amplitude Problem

Author Topic: Amplitude Problem
RobRuiz

- posted August 06, 2016 06:20 PM      Profile for RobRuiz           Edit/Delete Post 
So i cant upload the file picture i took of the problem and my work so Im going to do my best to explain it and hope it gets me somewhere..and hopefully this is the forum for this type of question...

Question- On 23 October 1981, your vessels 1722 zone time DR position is LAT 27 36'S, LONG 096 16'W, when an amplitude of the Sun is observed. The Sun's lower limb is about 20 min of arc above the visible horizon and bears 246 psc. Variation in the area is 14.0 E. The chronometer reads 11h 24m 19s and is 01m 43s fast. What is the deviation of the standard compass?

I set my problem up like a normal amplitude, found my CCT, GMT. Found my declination to be S25 46.8.
what i do not know and cannot figure out is how to convert my arc mins or degrees into my equation to find my true bearing...
am i making sense? i hope so.

David Burch

- posted August 06, 2016 07:37 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a cel nav question, so we should move this to the public discussion of cel nav and carry on with the answers there. I will move this now.
Capt Steve Miller

- posted August 07, 2016 02:42 PM      Profile for Capt Steve Miller           Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend that you look in Bowditch at topic 1703 through 1705 for an explanation on how to calculate Amplitudes either using the Bowditch Table 23 (in your case) or by calculation.
That should help you out.
If you do not have a copy of Bowditch you can find one on line.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation