| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » HBS Prob. 7

Author Topic: HBS Prob. 7
Rich A

- posted March 22, 2017 05:16 PM      Profile for Rich A           Edit/Delete Post 
I am unable to find the information for Block 5 of the work form for Vega.

A Dec Deg of 38 is not listed in my HO249 Vol 2. The Dec Deg listed across the top of the pages range from 0-14 and 15-29 degrees.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

David Burch

- posted March 22, 2017 05:46 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
38º is not in 249. have to use 229, or compute the answers directly. most of these problems will be 229 or computation.

see www.starpath.com/calc for computations, also 229 is online as free download.

Rich A

- posted March 22, 2017 06:19 PM      Profile for Rich A           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have HO229 series, and didn't see where it could downloaded. Would it be easier to do the computations directly? If so, the Sight Reduction & Pre-computation tool doesn't give the same answers as in the book for this problem.

LHA 311
Dec 38 N
a-Lat 37 N

David Burch

- posted March 22, 2017 06:27 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
remember when you compute to compare with tables you have to use the AP values just as in the table side.

also you will have minutes on the dec.

note that if you choose to use all computation — actually the best solution for the book and for navigation in general — then the approach to the sight reduction can be made more efficient as well, as you would then use actual DR for the computation. this in turn calls for enhanced plotting techniques as well, ie plot from the DR position....

or just use the computation to get Hc and Zn and use normal procedures.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation