| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Public Discussion of Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Luminus Ranges

Author Topic: Luminus Ranges
Garrett Van Delden

- posted February 06, 2004 10:04 AM      Profile for Garrett Van Delden           Edit/Delete Post 
I am having trouble with the luminous range diagram and calculations. Can you explain the calculations reguired when using the diagram in the inland and coastal chart problems book.
David Burch

- posted February 06, 2004 11:49 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
At one point we had a better example in our notes, but somehow it got switched to the one from the Coast Pilot. There are better ones in the Light List, such as the one below from the Canadian Light List.

If this does not help, please post a specific question about it and we will go after that.

Luminous Range Diagram

The other thing i should mention in this regard is our short formula for predicting luminous range that you do with out this diagram. If you cannot find this in the course book, let me know and i will track it down.

it goes something like:

Lumious range = [(visibility/10) x nominal range ] + 1 nmi.

it is not precise to the tenth, but very close and generally more than adequate since we rarely know the visibilty very precisely...

Link to Canadian Light Lists is in our inet connections resources, under general navigation. They are very nice.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation