| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Public Discussion of Inland and Coastal Navigation   » expedite studies

Author Topic: expedite studies
BGS

- posted August 02, 2007 05:24 AM      Profile for BGS           Edit/Delete Post 
I just received the paper course for inland and coastal. At the end of august I am chartering a power boat to use on Chesapeake Bay.

Because I m pressed for time, what areas should I concentrate on to get around.

David Burch

- posted August 02, 2007 09:39 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
in a sense, the most fundamental thing when you get into a boat and pull away from the dock is the rules of the road... what do you do when you first encounter traffic on a converging course etc. so it would be valuable to skim through the chapter on the rules before leaving. i mention this because it is rather toward the back of the course.

then up front is also basic chart reading, compass use and speed time and distance. a couple hours in each section along with your follow up questions should cover that.

note that our package includes a very nice echart viewing program called memory map navigator. with that you can lay out your routes practice with fixes, and so on. it even has a gps simulator with set and drift options.

so you might want to download the charts for where you will be (they are free) and get used to them as you work though the charting exercises in the course.... then you can post questions about the actual charts you will be using.

you get them here http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/ after quite a few links but they have blocked any direct links. if you have trouble getting the charts you want and installing the charts let us know.

you can get the coast pilot you need from here: http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/coastpilot3.htm

-------
note: if you do not have the electronic edition of the course, you can use the link above to find the appropriate paper charts and order them online as well.. there is a fee for that.

also you can download the chart viewer at www.memory-map.com at no charge even though you do not have our electronic viewer.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation