| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Public Discussion of Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Compass Rose of old

Author Topic: Compass Rose of old
Ted

- posted February 09, 2008 02:13 PM      Profile for Ted           Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know if anyone knows of where I could find a diagram of the old fashioned compass rose rose that is read in directions designated as NNE, SSW, etc., showing the abbreviations for all points of the compass. Hopefully something I can download. Thank you.
HHEW

- posted February 09, 2008 03:20 PM      Profile for HHEW           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, does this take me back. When I was a kid being able to go by memory around the compass rose reciting the quarter-points was a rainy-day exercise known as "boxing the compass." The last time I saw such a rose in print was in the Eldridge Tide and Pilot Book, an annual paperback publication with a mustard yellow cover. You might be able to find one on Amazon.

Perhaps an old edition of Chapman's navigating and piloting (the Power Squadron text) might show one.

David Burch

- posted February 09, 2008 03:25 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
We have a very nice article on boxing the compass in the online nav course, including a table for each point and an explanation of the conventions.

In the mean time to find this online do a Google Book search for a 1911 Bowditch and in an early chapter of that book it covers it and has a drawing like you want. As does the 1916 edition which is also online, and probably others... but not after about 1920.

John P

- posted January 24, 2009 06:05 PM      Profile for John P           Edit/Delete Post 
An illustration of a compass rose using points, and a table showing the equivalency to degrees, is found in the 1964 edition of the "American Merchant Seaman's Manual." Modern editions probably would no longer have it, but the older book can sometimes be found in used book stores.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation