| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

search | help desk | commons

This topic has been moved to Coastal Nav Student Discussion Forum.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Public Discussion of Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Nga charts.

Author Topic: Nga charts.
David Littlejohn

- posted March 17, 2009 07:05 AM      Profile for David Littlejohn           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you able to download the digital charts off the NGA website onto the memory map software.
David Burch

- posted March 17, 2009 08:25 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
These days, under the leadership of the IMO and NOAA, there is a terminology slowly settling in with regard to "digital charts," namely there are vector charts (purely digital, in layers, fully changeable) called Electronic Navigation Charts (ENC), and there are actual graphic images of standard paper charts (exact reproductions, no changes possible) which are now called Raster Navigation Charts (RNC).

We can get both for US waters from http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/charts.htm

So my question must be, do you refer to RNC or to ENC?

David Littlejohn

- posted March 17, 2009 09:02 AM      Profile for David Littlejohn           Edit/Delete Post 
I think from the NGA website they are ENC charts or vector charts. I have downloaded a few raster
charts from the NOAA website which has proved to be very easy.The NGA site seems to offer a large selection of international charts,just wondering if these are compatable with Memory Map Navigator.

David Burch

- posted March 17, 2009 09:27 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Since you are signed up for the online course for Inland and Coastal navigation, I am going to copy this topic into that discussion forum and we can carry on there. There are more instructors viewing that section to take part.

Please answer or add discussion to that section. thanks. --david

All times are Pacific  
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation