| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Public Discussion of Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Proper procedures for radio communications

Author Topic: Proper procedures for radio communications
TomD

- posted June 22, 2011 03:13 PM      Profile for TomD           Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Starpath community,

I'm on the hunt for information regarding proper marine radio communications and DSC usages.

If I want a bar check prior to leaving the harbor, do I call the USCG station on 16 and ask if restrictions for my vessel size are in effect?

Another example might be approaching a bend in a river to determine if there's down bound traffic traffic I should be aware of.

Any suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Tom

David Burch

- posted June 23, 2011 03:17 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
the best reference for marine communication is a webpage of that name from the USCG at

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=maritimeTelecomms

the river question is best answered by having AIS on your boat, which these days is very inexpensive.

If you are signed up for any of our courses you can carry on this conversation inside the classroom for faster response.

marine communications could apply to any course.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation