| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Public Discussion of Inland and Coastal Navigation   » OpenCPN

Author Topic: OpenCPN
brokesailor

- posted December 31, 2015 12:33 PM      Profile for brokesailor           Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching your video on OpenCPN Basic Plotting Tools and my OpenCPN does not have that range ring option when I drop a mark. The only way I can use range rings is from the boat under Settings. I have the latest version of CPN on Windows 10.
David Burch

- posted December 31, 2015 01:48 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
The difference seems to be that i am using the latest beta version 4.1.1108, which is also available there as a download. I just checked 4.0.0 and it does not have the range rings option.

For versatile chart work and indeed for use underway these range rings are very important. We can do a neat trick with them for interpreting radar images, for example.

brokesailor

- posted January 01, 2016 03:55 AM      Profile for brokesailor           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, downloaded the Beta update and it's all good!
David Burch

- posted January 01, 2016 11:52 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Seems this will evolve into v4.2 very shortly. Thanks for pointing this out. I had not known this was one of the improvements.
brokesailor

- posted January 02, 2016 04:38 AM      Profile for brokesailor           Edit/Delete Post 
David: when will the Inland Navigation Course fully transition to using Open CPN? I would like to retake the course once that happens. I took the navigation course a loooong time ago.
David Burch

- posted January 03, 2016 10:34 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
We have in a sense done this already. The only thing left is to make a BSB version of 18465TR. Getting closer on that each day.

By the way, to get back into the course you just need to update your webcard. Your tuition purchase does not expire.

https://www.starpath.com/webcards.htm

see also note on course time extension at the end of link 3 at this page:

http://www.starpath.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=62

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation