| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Radar   » Public Discussion of Marine Radar   » Radar sensor location

Author Topic: Radar sensor location
Randy Allen

- posted July 18, 2007 10:27 PM      Profile for Randy Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the secondary posting. My upgrade is to give me better detection of debris (including logs) in the Puget Sound cruising waters, as well as to gain my horizontal resolution of close targets. Adding to my previous question, assuming the near-field to far-field transition, how/where would you suggest a mounting that will adequately detect floating debris? If the beam does not transmit on 25 degrees, does this mean I will need to shim it downward to see nearby floating targets? Any bow-rise from cruising speed would benefit from this shimming...but what about the slow, near level pitch in adverse light conditions?
Thanks !
Randy Allen
Olympia, Wa

David Burch

- posted July 18, 2007 11:01 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if you ride bow high when cruising, then a rake to the unit to make it level at that plane would be logical, and is often done.

as for seeing logs, the bigger unit will definitley help with that, but i am not sure you gain anything from the rake in this respect, though the rake is good for other reasons. You will have a minimum range as discussed in the book, no matter what, but more to the point, unless it is flat calm you have sea clutter at close range that would usually block such detection at very close range, not to mention that the warning is most use to you the farther off it is.

it might be interesting to see the results of the shovel experiment.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation