| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Radar   » Public Discussion of Marine Radar   » Indirect echoes

Author Topic: Indirect echoes
stevek

- posted September 13, 2007 09:48 PM      Profile for stevek           Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding of an indirect (false) echo is one caused by the return of a radar energy from a real detected target via an indirect path ie, reflected off a mast or funnel.
The echo would show up at approximately the same range as the real target but on an incorrect bearing.

Since the radar antenna is essentially a directional antenna I would only expect indirect echoes to show up within a limited arc.

My question is..what arc might that be?

David Burch

- posted September 13, 2007 11:00 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have our book Radar for Mariners? if so, please check figures 9.3 and 9.4 to see if the illustrations there and the captions answer your question.

If you do not have the book we could capture and post those pictures... we also have an ebook copy of the book online for $9.95.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation