| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Radar   » Public Discussion of Marine Radar   » Marine Radar Endorsement class

Author Topic: Marine Radar Endorsement class
snowdog

- posted April 04, 2012 10:59 AM      Profile for snowdog           Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently enrolled in the Coastal Nav. class and plan on taking your Radar class next. I recently recieved an email from the San Juan Sailing school (thru whom I have recieved some ASA instruction) regarding an upcoming Radar endorsement workshop on April 29th. I am curious how this compares to the Starpath Radar class. I like the idea of being more hands on and having a chance to learn fom you in person, but if the Starpath option is more in depth then I would rather just take that route. Any info you could provide to help me with that decision would be appreciated.
Larry Brandt

- posted April 04, 2012 01:28 PM      Profile for Larry Brandt           Edit/Delete Post 
Everything is a compromise.

The San Juan Sailing course is an all-day course intended for powerboaters and sailors covering material to the ASA 'Radar Endorsement' level only. Students interested in an ASA Radar Endorsement will be able to take their ASA exam immediately following the class, and if successful will have their ASA logbook signed off. (Powerboaters won't be interested in ASA cert so they - and anyone else disinterested - may opt out of the written exam.) A one-day class is an efficient, albeit intense, way to achieve the ASA standard and become radar-proficient provided that it is convenient for the attendee. I don't know where you live or your schedule, so you'll have to make that call. I don't know the difference in cost, so you'll have to check with San Juan Sailing on that.

The Starpath course is an online course that covers everything that the SJS course will cover, plus a bit more. If ASA certification is desired following the Starpath course, a separate exam will need to be scheduled through a cooperating ASA school, which will arrange to have it scored and the logbook signed off. Because Starpath's is a self-study online course, it is demanding of discipline and time, which could make it more or less convenient as your personal preferences permit. On the other hand, it does delve into the material a bit deeper than the SJS course will.

Both courses use the exact same texts: Radar for Mariners plus the associated Radar Workbook.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation