| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Radar   » Public Discussion of Marine Radar   » Topic: 0.2

Author Topic: Topic: 0.2
rlstewart

- posted June 11, 2013 12:25 PM      Profile for rlstewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Cannot open the slide presentation - only garbage.

I am using a Dell desktop running Windows 8 - 64

elibra is loaded, version is 2.03

David Burch

- posted June 11, 2013 03:14 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Try saving the files to your computer and then open from there.
rlstewart

- posted June 11, 2013 06:47 PM      Profile for rlstewart           Edit/Delete Post 
I switched my default browser from Firefox 21 to IE 10. That did the trick! I can now read the files.
David Burch

- posted June 11, 2013 10:35 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear that, but have to say that i would guess that something else has changed as these files are not really related to any specific browser.

Do you mean that they now open when you click them from within that browser, but they did not from within firefox? i can understand that as different security settings on the two.

But if the files were downloaded to your HD, they should open fine regardless of any browsers installed on the computer.

Thanks for the follow up.

rlstewart

- posted June 12, 2013 02:44 PM      Profile for rlstewart           Edit/Delete Post 
I reset Firefox as the default. If I right click the Topic 02 image and click "Save link as...", this saves the file. If I just try to open - garbage.

The saved file then reads in elibra.

David Burch

- posted June 12, 2013 02:58 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds right. Firefox has some security setting that will not let you execute it from a web command, but once on your desktop Firefox is out of the picture.

These are all relatively new changes to the browsers. in the past they all had default settings that did not prevent opening the elibra files. Now they have limits that do not allow files to open that they do not understand.

Other browser settings look into your registry or by some other manner learn that your computer knows how to handle these and they let it go.

Main thing is, you have a solution now.

Further more, it can be a virtue to have these files saved because you can then refer to them later on when the course is over.

( Note that in all cases, you must have the elibra reader installed first.

If you downloaded the files, save to Hard drive, and then clicked them to open without having elibra reader installed, you would again get the garbage you saw. )

rlstewart

- posted June 12, 2013 03:35 PM      Profile for rlstewart           Edit/Delete Post 
I am also having problems with the Radar Trainer 3 Help and Tutorial files. They will not open from the program. I can read from the Starpath folder though. Also I just found the Chart button would not open (only the spinner - then nothing).

So I gave up on Windows 8 and loaded your software on my Lenovo Thinkpad laptop running Windows 7. Radar Trainer works fine now. Still have the issue with Firefox but this does not worry me.

Now I can get down to some learning

Thanks

rlstewart

- posted June 13, 2013 09:44 AM      Profile for rlstewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Learned something else. I don't think there is an issue with Windows 8.

The Radar Trainer works OK when opened directly from the desktop icon in either Windows 7 or 8. However, the help functions and chart buttons do NOT work if the Trainer is opened from the Marine Radar Trainer start screen (Windows 7 or 8).

David Burch

- posted June 13, 2013 01:01 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
The tutorials and help files are .chm files. Windows 64 has chosen to not let them open from some links, but you can change that setting if you like. We have a topic on this in the Tech Support section.

http://www.starpath.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=8

On the other hand, if you have a way to open the files, you might just use that and move forward.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation