| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Navigation Rules   » Public Discussion of the Nav Rules   » Coast Guard Question 04010

Author Topic: Coast Guard Question 04010
Dan Cline

- posted January 08, 2006 06:41 AM      Profile for Dan Cline           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working through the Coast Guard Nav Rules questions in the Inland and Coastal Navigation Home Study Course, and I'm having a hard time understanding the official answer to 04010. This question reads:

04010 If your vessel is underway in fog and you hear one prolonged and three short blasts, this is a __________.
A. vessel not under command
B. sailing vessel
C. vessel in distress
D. vessel being towed

The answer key says C is the correct answer, citing Rule 35d. I believe the answer is D, under Rule 35e. I believe C is wrong, because if it is a vessel in distress, it is giving a signal that can be mistaken for another signal authorized by the Rules, in violation of Rule 36.

Is this simply a typo in the answer key? If not, what am I missing?

David Burch

- posted January 09, 2006 12:46 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. you are right. the answer is D, vessel being towed and it is a straight forward statment of the rule you cite. I have updated the errata in the tech support section.

(We originally had a couple typos in this section, but I thought we had fixed them, but obviously not.)

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation