| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Navigation Rules   » Public Discussion of the Nav Rules   » Rule 12 Discussion

Author Topic: Rule 12 Discussion
bhopl

- posted March 02, 2010 04:00 PM      Profile for bhopl           Edit/Delete Post 
I do not understand boat E & D in Figure 1 when it says below: "When E, which is on a port tack turns left and "comes up on the wind" (follows red arrow in diagram) then it must stay clear of D, because D is on a starboard tack."

It appears D is on a PORT tack, as is E, but D is windward of E. Therefore, E should have the right of way.

What am I not seeing correctly?

Thank you.

Larry Brandt

- posted March 03, 2010 11:32 AM      Profile for Larry Brandt           Edit/Delete Post 
A sailing vessel is said to be on port or starboard tack depending on which side of the boat the wind first arrives. For example, if the wind comes from the boat's left side, the boat is on port tack. In the ordinary course of events, that left-coming wind would push the sail towards the right side of the boat.

When a sailboat is running downwind, the effect of the wind is along the vessel's centerline; thus, the skipper has a choice of which side to position the sail. If he positions the sail on the right side of the boat, *as if* a left-coming wind would have pushed it there, the boat is said to be on port tack. If he positions the sail on the left side of the boat, *as if* a wind from the right would have pushed it there, the boat is said to be on starboard tack.

The position of the sail communicates a right-of-way message to other sailboats. In Figure 1, neither E nor D is windward of the other. But because E's sail is positioned on the vessel's right side, the boat is said to be on port tack. D's sail is positioned *as if* a wind from the right would have pushed it there, and is therefore said to be on starboard tack.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation