| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Marine Weather   » Public Discussion of Marine Weather   » Marine Layer ?

Author Topic: Marine Layer ?
Ravi

- posted June 18, 2012 09:27 PM      Profile for Ravi           Edit/Delete Post 
I live in coastal southern california.
1. I need to get a conceptual understanding of the "Marine layer" .
2. How does it form ?
3. What is the significance of the "Marine layer" in general and especially to a sailor?

Answers to all three would be appreciated.

David Burch

- posted June 19, 2012 11:45 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the question. I am putting some notes together on this. i just realized this is not in our materials at the moment. --david
David Burch

- posted June 19, 2012 12:14 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
1. I need to get a conceptual understanding of the "Marine layer" .

here are two links that explain it with examples:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/ocean/marine.htm

http://meteora.ucsd.edu/~iacob/marinelayer.html

2. How does it form ?

covered above

3. What is the significance of the "Marine layer" in general and especially to a sailor?

it acts much like a sea breeze as it is forming, also it can lead to fog, which to first order is not an issue, but does affect navigation

also, there is a fine line between a sea fog episode and a marine layer changing depth.

General notes.

the phrase refers to the whole air mass, not the cloud layer at the top of it, though often discussed online and in TV reports when looking at cloud images.

ie it is not a layer of clouds, it is a layer of air on the surface of the ocean... ie marine

Do you have a copy of our Weather Trainer Live Program? if so keep an eye on it as we can update that so these notes and pics will show up there.

Ravi

- posted June 19, 2012 11:39 PM      Profile for Ravi           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David. That was very helpful. I dont have your weather trainer software yet, but will consider it.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation