Enhanced Navigation Rules training at your finger tips
…the beginner's best bet and the professional navigator's first choice for learning and reviewing the Rules of the Nautical Road. NavRules includes the entire database of USCG rules questions with specific rule references in the answers, plus training resources developed by navigation schools with decades of teaching experience and thousands of graduates. Monitor your progress by rule and subject matter and use flash card mode for learning lights and other diagrams.
iPhone, iTouch, iPad (Universal app)
Nav Rules resources
Great way to study
Bottom part of the Begin Page and New Test page view in iPhone
iPhone views of Review or
Continue Test page and A question reviewed with link
Free Resources for those studying the
• Annotated Rules Contents Includes brief description of what each Rule covers. This info is not in the official Contents, which is just Rule number and name with no description or subparts.
• Rules ebook with Interactive Table of contents, bookmarks, and updated Other editions online, even from USCG, include just one or the other. View / Page display as 2-page continuous to see US Inland and International side by side. Email a copy to yourself, then in iPhone or iPad, choose open in ibooks, and you will have a nice permanent copy at hand for reference in the ibooks library.
• Updates to the NavRules as of June, 2013 (not yet in published editions) NEW!
• Canadian Modifications to the Colregs A handy stand alone module that shows all Modifications marked in red.
• Official statement of the US Inland Rules From the CFRs with links to get Annexes, Demarcation lines, etc.
• Quick Study—Steering and Sailing Rules only COLREGS Part B. The 12 short pages that cover "right of way." The main idea is to show that these basics are not long and complex, which we might fear from seeing the whole book of Rules.
August 2014 edition of the Rules, now called Navigation
Rules and Regulations Handbook (check with the USCG NavCen if
this does not work. They may rename this link as they find and
and updates to August 2014 edition of the Rules
(issued mid November, week 46, of 2014)
Related commercial products
Nav Rules Trainer The stand alone PC app that we use in our online Nav Rules course.
Annotated Navigation Rules Distinctions between COLREGS and US Inland Rules, color coded to indicate the significance of the difference. Available in several inexpensive ebook formats. Very valuable for those who sail in both waters or are studying for a US deck license.
Purchase printed copy of USCG Navigation Rules
Purchase printed copy of Farwell's Rules of the Nautical Road