| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Geography quiz

Author Topic: Geography quiz
David Burch

- posted December 09, 2004 06:42 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
What is unique for sailors about 39° 20'N, 00° 20'W?
Elrohir

- posted February 28, 2005 09:23 PM      Profile for Elrohir           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't see an answer to this question, and I can't figure it out myself.

It's a spot in the western Mediterranean, near Valencia. But I couldn't guess what its significance is.

John Nussbaum

- posted March 02, 2005 12:05 PM      Profile for John Nussbaum           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it the location of the Old Royal Observatory?
David Burch

- posted March 02, 2005 12:56 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
I can only say that if this is the site of an old observatory, that is not what i had in mind... and not why this is so sginificant a location for modern sailors.

ie, still leaving this as an exercise! --david

John Nussbaum

- posted March 03, 2005 12:26 PM      Profile for John Nussbaum           Edit/Delete Post 
These coordinates are for a swamp/lagoon south of Valencia Spain. (La Albufera de Valencia) Bankers from Valencia financed Columbus's first voyage. The area is noted for its good bird watching and paella.
David Burch

- posted March 03, 2005 12:42 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
I need to be more specific, so I am fine tuning the location to this: 39° 27'N, 000° 16' W. It is not the swamp and it is not on land. It is a place that many sailors might want to visit in the near future!
John Nussbaum

- posted March 03, 2005 06:42 PM      Profile for John Nussbaum           Edit/Delete Post 
How sweet it is when stormy winds assail
The mighty main, safe on shore to view
Another’s sore distress; not that tis joy
To feel another’s woe, but that tis sweet
To know thyself from like affections free.
Sweet too, to scan war’s panoply far-flung
Across the plain, thyself from danger free.
Yet Naught more gladsome than to hold secure
Those heights serene, by wise men’s doctrine reared,
From which thou mayst lookdown, and all about
Behold thy fellows, wandering here and there,
Search for the way of life and find it not,
Striving with native wit and noble birth,
Straining both night and day with toil supreme
To master wealth and stand forth Lords of Things!
LUCRETIOUS, Roman Poet, 97-54 BC

You must be refering to the location of the 2007 America's Cup!

David Burch

- posted March 04, 2005 02:50 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Yea.... you win.

It promises to be a exciting event with much politics, suspense and good sailing. Usually a most excellent exercise in coastal wind forecasting. All the best sailing, navigation, and weather technology in the world will be called into play.

May also be the most international of the events to date.

http://www.americascup.org

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation