| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Prob 9.5b and how to carry on

Author Topic: Prob 9.5b and how to carry on
Rob Pearce

- posted February 16, 2005 07:42 AM      Profile for Rob Pearce           Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a fix and plot answer for 9.5.b? I can't find one in my answer book.

I am about done with my home study. I only have Chapter 10 to read, and parts of 11 (in depth) and parts of the star finder book. I would like to do your certification, just so I have something that says I took the course and understood what I learned. What is the test like. I refered to your description on line, but it doesn't say how many problems or what types.

Also, what might I do out here in the desert to improve my new skills? I have a sneaky suspiscion when I go to try and do real life problems that I may encounter more questions! One I can think of right off the bat is how do I deal with the elevation here (4500 feet) when doing sight reductions in this area?

Thanks again,

Rob

David Burch

- posted February 16, 2005 04:37 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
I was surprized to see that there is no solution given for the fix, just the LOPs. So here it is, done by electronic plotting. (The precise answer is 44° 43.0'N, 160° 14.4'E, that we get from our LOP plotting program).

-

We did this this way:

place two marks on a world chart, and give one the location of the first AP (9.5a) and the other one the location of 9.5b assumed position, and lock their positions. This immediately hides them as it moves them off to the right location.

Then from the chart table menu ask the program to center on one of them. Use a route or range and bearing tool to mark in the azimuth line at the right distance off, and then turn 90° to lay out the LOP. Same with the other one. Then where they intersect we drop another mark, and read off its lat and lon.

Then we captured the screen with a graphics program and filled in the lines (blue lines) to make it look a bit more like a real cel nav plot.

I will addres your other excellent points in another topic, and separate from this one as they are unrelated... more later.

Rob Pearce

- posted February 17, 2005 07:05 AM      Profile for Rob Pearce           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the solution.
David Burch

- posted February 27, 2005 09:55 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
The Starpath cel nav test is similar to the US Sailing test described in our certification section. There are about 10 problems on the topics listed. You work at home and then send it back.

The last Lesson in the online course (no 12) covers a lot on what to do to carry on. I might only add to that that you can really master star id by just working on it 20 or 30 minutes a night, every once in a while, using information from the Star Finder book that comes with the course.

Also we have not written it up in detail yet, but in the Resources Study Guides it outlines how you can carry on with sight selection and sight reduction practice using the online data from the Nautical Almanac Office, and we provide the link. Use the sky from your own location and date to have a look at the real thing along with this.

But nothing beats just doing sights. If you do not have water near by (even a lake) then use an artifiical horizon. We have notes on that throughout the course. Or just put a big quadrant on a pipe that you can rotate and read a weighted string to get approximate Hs values. Use a carpenter's level to get the top of it aligned with the horizon.

No problem with elevation of your location. That does not enter into dip short method (using a shoreline) nor into artificial horizon. And it does not matter how you take the sights. A simple non-issue.

Rob Pearce

- posted February 28, 2005 07:02 AM      Profile for Rob Pearce           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the follow up. I like non-issue items (elevation).

I will order the certification test.

Rob

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation