| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Suggestions For Novice Sextant User Wanted

Author Topic: Suggestions For Novice Sextant User Wanted
Gary Rose

- posted March 13, 2005 06:34 PM      Profile for Gary Rose           Edit/Delete Post 
In about a month I will have my first real chance to use my sextant (Astra IIIB Delux) with a real horizon. My wife and I will be with friends on their sailboat. First let me say that even despite the fact that I (hopefully) will have finished the Celestial Navigation course, I am NOT going to be the navigator on this trip. At least not using my sights alone. Of the four of us, I am the only one that has attempted any type of CN. This trip is a vacation and my sights are for practice. I do plan to reduce and plot them and then compare them to the GPS on board.

Here is the point of this post.

I know that Mr. Burch and others of you have had the chance to use your sextants in the real world. Do you have any suggestions for the really novice sextant user?

Thanks
Gary

David Burch

- posted March 13, 2005 08:53 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Review chapter 2 on sextant sights and see Lesson 12 Lecture — Getting help with practice sights. It has several pointers for saving the data if it does not make sense at first. You are of course welcome to bring back your results to share and disucss.

Good luck. Have fun.

--david

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation