| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » pub 214

Author Topic: pub 214
Joel Lynn

- posted May 08, 2005 04:05 PM      Profile for Joel Lynn           Edit/Delete Post 
I do have a question about art. 11.4, Averaging celestial sights. Pub. 214, of course is out of print, however, are there sources for out of print nautical publications where one might order a copy? If not, is it feasible to photocopy it? If so, do you know who might be of help, for a fee of course? I have a copy of Bowditch, 1977 the extract of Pub. 214 therein, I assume is of limited use?

Sincerely,
Joel Lynn

David Burch

- posted May 10, 2005 03:47 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Copies of Pub 214 can be found online in the used books websites. For starters try www.used.addall.com and search on "H.O. Publication 214." I see there several options varying from about $8 per volume up to $300 for a complete set. There are also other sources.

We have purchased many used books from this outlet and others, there are several large ones, and have had good luck in all cases. It might save time to note the actual bookseller from the sales data and contact them by phone or email to be sure the books are still in stock. (Sometimes we have found books we wanted this way that were located just a mile from the school!)

With that said, I am not sure that we really need this special aid to analyze or average a set of sights for the best value. We can compute the slope fairly easily from printed sight reduction tables that exist, ie 249 or 229.

I may be missing the point of your question?

And i cannot help but mention our StarPilot software options (for calculator or PC) that will analyze not only linear progressions of sights (the only type done easily with Pub 214 slopes) but also curved progressions as observed for sights anywhere near the meridian. Please see StarPilot demo tour and select Sight Analysis example.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation