| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Cel nav computer program

Author Topic: Cel nav computer program
Frank Oliver

- posted October 19, 2005 03:02 PM      Profile for Frank Oliver           Edit/Delete Post 
Can the Starpath Celestial navigation course be used to practice using cel nav calculator? Since some of the examples go back to 1978 I was just curious as to the range of dates a calculator can handle. BTW, I am currently struggling through the course. My biggest problem seems to be remembering where to go to get data for the boxes. i.e. which table to go for what. I am thinking of making myself some kind of one page cheat sheet. Or rewriting the form with expanded box headings referencing the proper table.

Frank Oliver

David Burch

- posted October 21, 2005 10:56 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, indeed. the many examples in the course materials (on all aspects of cel nav) can all be worked with the StarPilot. Remember not to mix up assumed position with dead reckoning position, which is a common pitfall -- see starpilot tech support section.

As for the second point, it might be time to go back to the first set of instrutctions that show side by side each box on the form and a snippet of the table that provides the data. Please also see the summary instructions that are in the pad of work forms.

But if that does not do it, then you might find it useful, as you proposed, to expand on the summary diagram at the end of the sunlines section. That diagram shows a work form and in each box of the form has a short note on what goes into each space.

If you end up with something you want to share, let us know and we will post it.

We have had students in the past make personal forms, often color coded to meet their own style of solution.... i will try to find some of these if i can and post them.

Frank Oliver

- posted October 21, 2005 04:21 PM      Profile for Frank Oliver           Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me, but where is this?
Remember not to mix up assumed position with dead reckoning position, which is a common pitfall -- see starpilot tech support section.

David Burch

- posted October 21, 2005 10:23 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank, we got several blank messages (now deleted), which means some technical problem... although i did get your msg in our email instructor notification mail. The message that went missing was (i think)

==================
From Frank Oliver: I will be more than happy to send you whatever I come up with. I am thinking I will use the entire page for one sight and simply expanding the instructions in each sub-box. Do I just email it to you?
===================

We are not sure what causes this, but it will probably be fixed by logging out, close all browsers, open one and delete all cookies, empty the cache, and then close the broswer, open it again and try. Did you maybe have more than one browser open on the classroom site? or was there any other unusual behavior you might recall?

-----------

The answer is Yes. That will work. We can then post it somewhere with links for others to look at. thanks. --david

David Burch

- posted October 21, 2005 10:34 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
As for the question about DR and AP. This is in the StarPilot tech support section, specifically this one here.

You get to these from the Support link on most pages, or www.starpath.com/support as a direct route. There is much there (several pages of topics) on special issues on the use of the StarPilot program.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation