| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Exercise 3.4 Question 2

Author Topic: Exercise 3.4 Question 2
tate

- posted March 26, 2006 02:21 PM      Profile for tate           Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked through this question and come to the supposed 'right' answer of 9 degrees 55.4 minutes. However, that is assuming that the GMT is 22h 49m on the 27th October 1978. But if my position is 166 degrees and fifteen minutes west, and it is noon for me on the 27th, then it must be 22h 49m on the 26th, not the 27th, of October at Greenwich. That would mean that the sun's declination is 12 degrees 34.1 minutes at the time of the sight and not 12 degrees 54.5 minutes. The answer should be a latitude of 9 degrees 35 minutes. Or am I getting hopelessly mixed up here??
Capt Steve Miller

- posted March 27, 2006 04:48 PM      Profile for Capt Steve Miller           Edit/Delete Post 
The problem indicates the GMT is 22h 49m as stated is on the 27th of October. We are located 166°W of Greenwich or 11 time zones west of Greenwich or 11 hours BEFORE Greenwich time. Therefore subtracting the 11 hours from the Greenwich time would result in 11 h 49m at our location or approximately NOON. Hope this helps.
tate

- posted March 28, 2006 12:23 AM      Profile for tate           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, thank you. I was getting mixed up. I somehow had it in my head that the earth was revolving from east to west, rather than the sun appearing to move from east to west.................now which was my right hand again?

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation