| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Calculator Solutions page 11-48 #1

Author Topic: Calculator Solutions page 11-48 #1
bostonguy

- posted August 24, 2006 10:14 AM      Profile for bostonguy           Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking at the display to my TI-89. Problem one the first part.....my calculator shows 09:51:20/021:18.3/138.2/6.8 The book shows a ZN of 137.9T/-7.2 My ZN is close bur the Intercept is going the other direction. I check my input data and it all appears correct. I was doing the problems in the Starpath User's guide. the only time I would go to Settings was to enter the time zone number. The book has you entering more data in the settings feature....I entered a positive 8 for time zone. I noticed when I go to view settingstime in GMT is a -8. Why?
David Burch

- posted August 24, 2006 12:03 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
The last part is easy, when you go to Setting 3-5 (UTC offset ZD and WE) to enter time preferences it asks for the ZD with the normal definitions W is + and E is -, based on the definition that GMT = LMT + ZD. If you are working in a region near say longitude 120° W, then you would use ZD = + 8 and at this stage enter +8 for the ZD.

Then when you go to Setting 1-6 (View Settings) for a review of your choices, you will see the statement "Times in GMT - 8," which is exactly right in that the reason you set ZD = + 8 was so you could see all the time outputs in local time, and therefore the times will be LMT = GMT - 8.

As for the earlier parts of your question, i cannot tell what the context is from what you have. Please be more specific, with exact input and exact output you see, and of course what function you are testing. thanks.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation