| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Paper Tables vs Computer tables

Author Topic: Paper Tables vs Computer tables
Miguel

- posted April 18, 2007 10:56 AM      Profile for Miguel           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear all:
I am at Chapter 3 in the book of celestial navigation.This deals with LAN. Looking at the practice examples in page 3-15 I observed a difference between the computed declination between the tables and the Starpath Perpetual Almanac.You will tell me that the difference is 0.1 min between the two and therefore is not significant but then again why will this be?

Sincerely,

Miguel

David Burch

- posted April 18, 2007 11:37 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
As i understand it, you find a difference of 0.1', and if that is the case, this is not a disagreement as the almanac data is only precise to within ± 0.1'.

To answer why the data from the almanac or from the perpetual almanac is not any more precise than 0.1' is another question. And the answer to that is the formulas that both use to compute this data are simply not any more accurate than that. If you want more precise data (not justified for routine cel nav) then you can get it from the online JPL almanac we have listed with several others in the Student Discussion Forum.

Miguel

- posted April 18, 2007 01:06 PM      Profile for Miguel           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the answer. A followed up question is how to get to the Student discussion Forum. I have tried several times but it will tell me that I have no access to it.
David Burch

- posted April 18, 2007 01:26 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
That is part of our online cel nav course. The main cost of that course is the materials, so if you already own the materials you can register for the online course by just adding that tuition fee. See http://starpath.com/resources2/secure/courses/purchase_online_cel-nav.htm

the course itself is discussed at http://starpath.com/cgi-bin/web_card/courses/courses.pl?p=preview&tab=overview&cat=Celestial%20Navigation

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation