| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » 11.18-5

Author Topic: 11.18-5
rbunn

- posted July 19, 2007 10:34 AM      Profile for rbunn           Edit/Delete Post 
ZD = +4, DR = 20° 00' S, 030° 15' W, 26Oct 1978. Find WT of LAN.

P. 6, T-4, meridian passage = 11h 44m, eqn of time @ 12h = 15m 58 sec, so meridian passage is 11h 44m 02s to be precise. An arc of 30° 15' is worth 2h 01m 00s. So, GMT of my longitudinal passage is 11h 44m 02s + 2h 01m 00s = 13h 45m 02s GMT. Correct to WT by subtracting the WT GMT bias of +4 = 9h 45m 02s.

What am I doing wrong? The soln showed MP @ 12h 05m 42s GMT and WT as 10h 06m 42s.

Troubled in Tulsa

David Burch

- posted July 19, 2007 12:05 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
This is not your problem, it is ours. This is an typo in the book. It is posted in the Tech Support section... some where i hope our instructions say that when you run across discrepancies to do a search on the question number and also check the Tech Support, which is the place we catalog typos and errata.
David Burch

- posted July 19, 2007 12:06 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Just noticed after posting, that the alert notice to find errors like this is on the top of the index page of all topics. ie under the white bar on this page:

http://www.starpath.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=16

rbunn

- posted July 19, 2007 12:38 PM      Profile for rbunn           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'll use that earlier next time instead of staring at the tables trying to figure out what I did wrong. More than likely it will be my bad, but maybe not, eh?

Thanks for the reply.

rb

David Burch

- posted July 19, 2007 07:33 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
The notes were in use for the first 20 years and then we got essentially all of the typos out.

Then in about 2002 or so we redid the layout and made them nicer looking, so the clock started again. Now we have just 5 years on these! but i think most errors have been spotted.

We will rebuild the masters shortly. We are waiting for a new nice addition to our ebook reader (region zoom) which is nearly completed and at that point we will fix all of these and make a new edition. The electronic version will be a free upgrade.

Thanks for your patience.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation