| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Starpilot Ti89 - suggestion

Author Topic: Starpilot Ti89 - suggestion
robertl

- posted January 01, 2010 07:16 AM      Profile for robertl           Edit/Delete Post 
Suggestion. I like to pre-visualise my sights on 2102-D

Under Precompute->Planet->[6] there is room to include another function ...

Can I suggest 2102-D which will then calculate and display LHAA at a given date:time together with the info needed to set up planets/moon on 2102-D using the RED disk?

There is an obvious workaround via twilight LHAA and precompute but the BLUE disk is not as convenient for plotting on the white base ...

LHAA (or GHA) date:time would also be useful for other purposes ...

Starpilot is a great tool and I have both PC and calculator versions ....

David Burch

- posted January 01, 2010 10:34 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, thank you, we can pass this on to the programmer.

The question that might arise, is if you have the starpilot already, it will compute, list, and plot a graphic of all sight combinations for you, and even pull out the best ones to use, so why would you refer back to the 2102-D?

We agree 100% that the 2102D star finder is a most powerful tool, with the virtue that it works when it is wet, but if you have the starpilot in the other hand and functioning it would seem you would rely on it.

Maybe i am missing the sequence you have in mind.

robertl

- posted January 01, 2010 02:57 PM      Profile for robertl           Edit/Delete Post 
It could be me ... but I find the "instant" graphic pre-visualisation of the sky and the relative size of the 2102-D much quicker and easier to see and read and relate/make quick decisions when on deck and the horizon is fading fast and shooting through clouds .... especially underway.

I am a firm believer in the theory of having redundant systems that provide a cross-check for primary aids. I'm very good at pressing the wrong keys on calculators, chartplotters and computers ....

As far as I am concerned safe navigation is about using and collating all the possible information at one's disposal, cross-checking and remaining "connected" with the environment. (I still keep a paper chart updated even when the chartplotter is on) ....

David Burch

- posted January 01, 2010 07:35 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
In these circumstances you describe, you cannot beat the 2102D, and there is no question about its reliability. So i have to agree with you.

I only wanted to double check that you were aware of the starpilot function that plots out the stars just like the 2102D does.

I might also make the reminder that if you mark the white wheel rim with an actual time hhmm every 15° then you can set it just once and use it all day. I think this is described in the star finder book. For this you could use the starpilot feature that will comptute twilight time and LHHA at that time and set it up that way.

robertl

- posted January 02, 2010 02:08 AM      Profile for robertl           Edit/Delete Post 
I have your excellent star-finder book and would not hesitate to recommend it. Your reminder is exactly how I set it up and use it and that's what has spurred my suggestion for the additional output from SP, I appreciate the thought though.

As a further note: I tend to leave the starpilot in the relative safety of the cabin ... the 2102-D is much cheaper to replace if it goes over the side or suffers other misadventure [Wink]

Hopefully I have put forward a strong enough case to incorporate this extra functionality in the program?

David Burch

- posted January 02, 2010 09:47 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, i can pass on the suggestion. Though we here at starpath did indeed design the interface and functionality of this instrument, we no longer own it so we can only suggest.

Another place to add this is to make it another output line in the precompute function. There are some virtues to having it there.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation