| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Interpolation of d-correction

Author Topic: Interpolation of d-correction
Brad

- posted December 13, 2011 04:10 AM      Profile for Brad           Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Miller,

I guess I ran aground again and wanted to ask you about interpolating the d-correction.

The book on Celestial Navigation on page 188 at the bottom refers to notes for box 5 given on page A-9 of which I cannot locate in my book, but from what I again can only assume as per the example I have posted it seems the you would still round off the 50.3 to 50 then find the correction in pub 249 and once corrected then add back the .3

1. If this were correct then would you round off again if over .5?

2. Is it always best to interpolate the d-corrections when left with 10th of a sec?

Again I greatly appreciate your time spent in helping me to understand the procedures
So that when the time comes for me to put what I’ve learn into practice I will be confident and not second guessing my computations to arrive within a ½ mile of my actual location.

Brad

David Burch

- posted December 14, 2011 11:41 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
the d-correction interpolation is discussed in in the tech support online as is other typos and errata, which i believe corrects the typo you found. We forgot you are not in the course where we have these matters more laid out.

in short, it is best to interpolate the d correction based on minutes part of declination. the interpolated tenths will either be the same as the dec tenths, or you will find it does not change, so it is always an interpolation you can do by inspection.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation