| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Chronometers

Author Topic: Chronometers
JohnG

- posted October 17, 2014 10:47 PM      Profile for JohnG           Edit/Delete Post 
Not having owned a wrist watch in a couple decades and having done some web searches this evening, it is not apparent to me what wrist watch I should buy for celestial navigation. The budget won't permit anything over a hundred or two hundred US dollars. I'd appreciate any and all recommendations re quartz or digital wristwatches. Waterproof or scuba watches would be a bonus.

Thanks!

John

Capt Steve Miller

- posted October 18, 2014 07:58 AM      Profile for Capt Steve Miller           Edit/Delete Post 
I have successfully used a Timex Expedition quartz wristwatch for many years as the watch I use for timing Celestial Sights. My watch has a very consistent error rate. The best part is that it cost less than $50.
David Burch

- posted October 18, 2014 08:18 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
coincidentally, that is the same model i have used for many years. we have notes on this in the book i believe, one thing is avoid plastic straps (they call it resin). Here is one for $38

[URL=http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/timex-watch-mens-digital-expedition-charcoal-canvas-strap-t40941um?ID=520935&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340000272989&catarget id=12]http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/timex-watch-mens-digital-expedition-charcoal-canvas-strap-t40941um?ID=520935&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340000272989&catarge tid=12[/URL] 0156340001159638&cadevice=c&cm_mmc=Google_Watches_PLA_PLA-_-Watches_Catch-All_All+Products-_-48509155251_-_-_mkwid_VgIEz2SW%7Cdc_48509155251%7C-%7CVgIEz2SW

might be even lower on amazon

JohnG

- posted October 18, 2014 02:18 PM      Profile for JohnG           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both for the advice but Timex makes many different models of the Expedition some analog, some digital, some with a lot of bling, etc. David's link is to a digital model.

What are the basic features that I should look for in a watch for navigation: analog or digital; quartz or digital mechanism; black or white face if analog; back lighted of just glowing numerals; stop watch; etc.

You'd think that there would be a watch out there that would have a button that you could press to save the exact time when you take a sight. Sort of like a universal stop watch.

Thanks,

John

Capt Steve Miller

- posted October 18, 2014 03:13 PM      Profile for Capt Steve Miller           Edit/Delete Post 
My watch is digital (easy to read minutes & seconds) and back-lighted (to read time in the dark).
I rotate it on my wrist so I can see the face while adjusting the micrometer drum. That allows just glancing at my wrist to read the time without moving my hand or wrist.

David Burch

- posted October 18, 2014 05:28 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on that. plus good light, which the indigo is, and non resin strap. definitely digital and one that shows seconds. i like to see the day and date on the dial as well if possible

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation