| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Partial Solar Eclipse 23 Oct 2014

Author Topic: Partial Solar Eclipse 23 Oct 2014
Capt Steve Miller

- posted October 24, 2014 03:45 PM      Profile for Capt Steve Miller           Edit/Delete Post 
I took this image of the Partial Solar Eclipse yesterday about 5 minutes into the Eclipse. Note the big Sunspot just below the center of the Sun - it has been designated #2192 by the Sunspot Authority. This Sunspot has the potential to send disruptive energy towards Earth in the near future.

Capt Steve Miller

- posted October 26, 2014 09:27 AM      Profile for Capt Steve Miller           Edit/Delete Post 
As a follow up on my previous post, the sunspot did unleash a huge solar flare on Friday 24 Oct reaching its peak at 2141 GMT. The official name for the sunspot is AR 12192 and is the largest of its king since November 1990. Note the sunspot is about the size of Jupiter. This solar flare was classified as an X3.1-class solar storm — one of the most powerful types of solar storms on the sun.
X-class solar flares are the most powerful eruptions on the sun. When aimed directly at Earth, X-class flares can potentially pose a danger to astronauts and spacecraft in space, and interfere with navigation, radio and communications signals. M-class flares are ranked as moderate sun storms that can supercharge the Earth's aurora displays. There are also weaker classes of solar storms that have little effect on Earth, including C-class, B-class and even A-class storms.
"Solar flares are powerful bursts of radiation," in a NASA update. "Harmful radiation from a flare cannot pass through Earth's atmosphere to physically affect humans on the ground, however -- when intense enough -- they can disturb the atmosphere in the layer where GPS and communications signals travel."
I found this information in an article on the internet at Space.com

Capt Steve Miller

- posted October 26, 2014 12:56 PM      Profile for Capt Steve Miller           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an image of the massive flare from space.com

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation