| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » CN03-0017 to -0022

Author Topic: CN03-0017 to -0022
Hozzie

- posted November 16, 2014 01:47 PM      Profile for Hozzie           Edit/Delete Post 
These problems are stated differently than Exercises 3.4 (1) to (10) that I have done.
How are times like WT and ZD related to the GMT of the earlier set of practice problems? Am I missing something?

Capt Steve Miller

- posted November 16, 2014 03:12 PM      Profile for Capt Steve Miller           Edit/Delete Post 
Look at page 35 in the text at step 1 - this is the procedure to determine the time of LAN.

Procedure:
Go to the Nautical Almanac for your date, then look at the Meridian Passage columns at the bottom of the right hand page for your date (the page with the Sun and Moon on it). Look for your date and note the Mer Pass which is the GMT of the Mer Pass at Greenwich.

Next go to the Arc to Time Conversion Table in the back of the Nautical Almanac and convert your DR Lon to Time. Then add (for West or subtract for East Longitudes) that Time to the Mer. Pass. time and the result is the GMT of LAN based on your location.

The next step is to apply the Zone Description of your watch and Watch Error to that GMT to obtain your Watch Time of LAN at your location. See page 37 for Example 3.3b in the text.

Capt Steve Miller

- posted November 17, 2014 08:47 AM      Profile for Capt Steve Miller           Edit/Delete Post 
My previous post was directed at questions #17, #19, #21.
For questions #18, #20, & #22 follow the instructions on pages 39 thru 43 in the text.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation