| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Celestial Navigation 2nd edition; ex.6.5

Author Topic: Celestial Navigation 2nd edition; ex.6.5
eisen

- posted September 03, 2015 10:30 AM      Profile for eisen           Edit/Delete Post 
So far I've been able to work though the hurtles, but I've indeed reached an impasse in chapter 6. I've accomplished all the exercises with consistent results unto this point and I think i understand the Running Fix procedure but I cannot get my work to agree with the answers. I am missing something and cannot see what it is.

The first thing I came across is a discrepancy on #6 sun shight; Zn. I used the rule for N Lat; Zn= 360-Z; 223=360-137. The answer uses 137 degrees;Z, not 223.

Second, #7 uses Zn 190 which isn't even the Z for the pub 249 data; LHA 9, Dec deg S12 contrary names.

In general my plotting sheet, though very close does not look the same as the one in the book even though I use the same data to plot DR and the two APs. Ive checked and rechecked my angles and distances to no avail- there is something amiss.

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this,

Andrew

Capt Steve Miller

- posted September 03, 2015 12:19 PM      Profile for Capt Steve Miller           Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the problem 6.5 Sun sight #6, I see that the LHA is 320°, Dec - S 12°, a-Lat is 45° N. I see that the z is 137 in the 249 Table for 45° Contrary. Using the rules for the Zn - when LHA is greater than 180° then Zn = Z. Thus the Zn is 137° in this problem.
Looking at the problem 6.5 Sun sight #7, I see that the LHA is 9°, Dec - S 12°, a-Lat is 45° N. I see that the z is 170 in the 249 Table for 45° Contrary. Using the rules for the Zn - when LHA is less than 180° then Zn = 360 - Z. Thus the Zn is 360° - 170° = 190° in this problem.

eisen

- posted September 04, 2015 09:02 AM      Profile for eisen           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Capt Miller. I see the err in my procedure.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation