| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » HBS Prob. 12 (Moon sight)

Author Topic: HBS Prob. 12 (Moon sight)
Rich A

- posted March 25, 2017 12:53 AM      Profile for Rich A           Edit/Delete Post 
According to the daily pages the d-value for the moon sight taken at GMT 13:42:22 is +12.8. Looking this up in the Increments & Corrections table gives you +9.1.

The answer sheet (pg. 50) gives a corrected Dec of 14.0.

How do you get this answer?

Capt Steve Miller

- posted March 25, 2017 11:20 AM      Profile for Capt Steve Miller           Edit/Delete Post 
I do not see a Dec of 14.0 on page 50 as shown in the attached copy of page 50.
Do you have the current edition of the Book?

Rich A

- posted March 25, 2017 02:05 PM      Profile for Rich A           Edit/Delete Post 
I must have a different version of the book. Mine is the 2014 version.

David Burch

- posted March 25, 2017 03:41 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Can you please post a larger picture. i cannot read this one.

we can add any changes to the errata. also if you purchased the book from starpath, that includes free updates as PC ebooks. we could look up your serial number, so you can download it.

if not from starpath, let us know and we can send you a PC ebook s/n for the latest printing. I believe a few typos were corrected at some point... or maybe a different AP was chosen. Once we see the picture we can tell.

thanks

Rich A

- posted March 25, 2017 04:11 PM      Profile for Rich A           Edit/Delete Post 

David Burch

- posted March 25, 2017 04:20 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks... and i apologize. there was some strange setting on my computer. this pic now looks just like the last one and is perfectly legible. not sure what happened.

let us look at this to see what is different.

David Burch

- posted March 25, 2017 04:24 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
I see what happened. The new image had the same name as the last image so it over wrote it, and just replaced the first one that was smaller.
David Burch

- posted March 25, 2017 04:35 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is in the Hc and Zn. from starpath.com/calc:

LHA = 346, DEC N 0º 28.5, LAT = 33

Hc = 54º 54.6’

Zn = 155.1

we will add an errata to the earlier printing you have.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Do you have a s/n for the latest ebook copy?

Rich A

- posted March 25, 2017 04:50 PM      Profile for Rich A           Edit/Delete Post 
No problem ... and no I don't have an s/n for the ebook.
David Burch

- posted March 25, 2017 05:46 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you use a PC? Would you like a PC ebook of the latest printing?
Rich A

- posted March 26, 2017 12:50 AM      Profile for Rich A           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Macbook and an iPad ... does it work with those, too?
David Burch

- posted March 27, 2017 12:29 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
yes. please look on both of them for an app called iBooks.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation