| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Exercise 5.8 (problem 1)

Author Topic: Exercise 5.8 (problem 1)
Dave

- posted October 11, 2017 05:26 PM      Profile for Dave           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how to get the Lat number (for example, in problem #1 the Lat answer is 55 19.0'N).
I thought I had a grasp on the work form but I have no idea where this Lat number is coming from? Any guidance would be appreciated.

David Burch

- posted October 11, 2017 05:36 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
here is the problem:
“(1) DR position at noon on July 25th, 1978 was 56° 02’ N, 164° 30’ W. A series of noon sights were taken and Hs-max was found to be 54° 5.0’ for a lower-limb sight taken at 23h 04m UTC. The index error was 2.0’ on the scale, and the HE was 9 ft. Find latitude at LAN.”

Excerpt From: David Burch. “Celestial Navigation: A Complete Home Study Course.” iBooks.

Do a normal sight reduction with this data. you will use an a-Lat of 56º N and get some a-value for a result. the Zn will be 000 or 180. Plot that LOP and that is your Lat.

In other words, just remove the word "max" from the original problem in sec 3.4 and you have a normal sunline to solve.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation