| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Hawaii By Sextant - Logbook Workform PDF Doesn't Seem To Match Logbook in Book.

Author Topic: Hawaii By Sextant - Logbook Workform PDF Doesn't Seem To Match Logbook in Book.
mgold

- posted January 02, 2019 08:45 AM      Profile for mgold           Edit/Delete Post 
I found a discrepancy between the Logbook With Answers on page 94 of Hawaii By Sextant and the downloadable "PDF Work form for Answers" found at www.starpath.com/HBS/HBS_answer_form.pdf.

The entries for July 10 found in the downloadable form (entry #33 and #34) don't seem to match the entries in the logbook found in the book on page 94 (entry #32 and #33). I came across this when double checking my universal plotting sheet for July 10 against the plotted answers. (I saw a plot I didn't recognize at all!) I'm about to hand-correct my empty logbook workform to match the book and then re-do my plot.

Quite enjoying HBS - though I am not yet satisfied with my plotting accuracy. (I invested in StarPilot for iOS with the hope that it will help me improve!)

Thanks,
Michael

Capt Steve Miller

- posted January 02, 2019 04:37 PM      Profile for Capt Steve Miller           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for pointing out this difference.
The Book is correct, but the pdf form had some typos. Those typos have been fixed so you can download the pdf form after you read this and you will have a correct form.

mgold

- posted January 03, 2019 06:53 AM      Profile for mgold           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! Just downloaded the updated form. Almost there: The speed in line 34 of the empty form (which corresponds to line 33 of the logbook in the book) still doesn't match. It should read '5.7'.

Best,
Michael

Capt Steve Miller

- posted January 03, 2019 02:33 PM      Profile for Capt Steve Miller           Edit/Delete Post 
In that form any blanks in the cells are to be construed to be the same data in the previous cells.
Only when a change is made is an entry put in the cell. This applies to the Course and speed column cells.

mgold

- posted January 03, 2019 06:38 PM      Profile for mgold           Edit/Delete Post 
In the book the speed in both line 32 (log 1003) and 33 (log 1032) is '5.7'.

In the updated form the speed in line 33 (log 1003) is 5.7 but the speed in line 34 (log 1032) currently reads '7.7'

Michael

David Burch

- posted January 03, 2019 09:01 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much. that is fixed now.

As a rule, the number of lines (or rather line numbers) in the users worksheet should not have to match those in the book's logbook, but we should definitely have C and S for specific Log readings matching up.

thanks again for your careful reading of this.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation