| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Computer software

Author Topic: Computer software
Jamoco

- posted January 15, 2019 01:24 AM      Profile for Jamoco           Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to plot my own charts, and do my own mathematics, but I am searching for a computer program that will help with the identification of stars and mostly planets like the celestial navigation data for assume position and time on the naval website. ex. https://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/celnavtable.php

any help? Sharon

David Burch

- posted January 15, 2019 07:03 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Our own Starpilot has a powerful star ID program in it, as well as a unique function that finds the best triads of bodies for a cel nav fix.

The most elegant program (Mac or PC) for general star and planet ID is called Stellarium. It is free and quite amazing.

Also there is the classic fall back, all analog, works when its wet, and if you drop it, 2102D Star Finder. With The Star Finder Book in hand, it becomes a planetarium in your hands with many applications to practical celestial navigation,

Jamoco

- posted January 16, 2019 06:40 PM      Profile for Jamoco           Edit/Delete Post 
How about planets? I have the star finder and have been spending 2 years learning how to identify stars and their patterns and seasons. Planets change so much. We were in the ten thousand islands and a wonderful planet was just above the horizon. Mars had been frequently in the sky this summer. I guess it wasn’t Venus but most likely Saturn or Jupiter. The planets have been giving us a wonderful show this summer.
Jamoco

- posted January 16, 2019 06:45 PM      Profile for Jamoco           Edit/Delete Post 
One other thing. I have found it a joy to find my own stars. Equipped with Hc and bearing with my hockey puck compass is how I found my stars along with some books on astrology. We are planning a year trip on our sailboat down the Caribbean and onto Costa Rica perfect opportunity to sharpen my skills.
David Burch

- posted January 16, 2019 07:52 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Planets must be plotted onto the white disk, using the red template as explained in the book, and then they work just as the permanent stars as far as height and bearing, rise and set times.

PS. You might enjoy the book North Star to Southern Cross. Delightful discussion oriented toward sailors with unique kind of monthly star maps.

There is also a book that is a free download online called Star Names Their Lore and Meaning.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gazetteer/Topics/astronomy/_Texts/seco ndary/ALLSTA/home.html

or we have an elibra ebook version, which has a lot of virtues for this book, since it is a reference book and we have a powerful search and find all function in our elibra Reader. See https://www.starpath.com/catalog/books/1826.htm

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation