| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » choosing declination correction sign

Author Topic: choosing declination correction sign
Jim

- posted January 03, 2020 09:12 AM      Profile for Jim           Edit/Delete Post 
If I am in the Northern Hemisphere and declination is in the Nor. Hem. then choosing the declination correction sign based off of increasing or decreasing declination is straightforward to me. If I am in the Nor. Hem. and declination is in the Southern Hem., choosing the sign is not as obvious to me. Let's say the declination is in Southern Hem and moving toward the Equator, and I am in Nor. Hem. Is declination 'decreasing' (a '-' sign for d correction) as it numerically gets smaller moving toward the equator, or is it 'increasing' (a '+' sign for d correction) as it moves closer to Equator and Nor. Hem.?
Capt Steve Miller

- posted January 03, 2020 09:21 AM      Profile for Capt Steve Miller           Edit/Delete Post 
Declination is decreasing
David Burch

- posted January 03, 2020 09:56 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Another note on this...

we need to find dec at some hour and some minutes.

look up dec at the base hour and then at the next hour, that span your time of interest.

the sign of d is the way we apply the correction, so if the next dec is larger, then d is +; if the next dec is lower (numerically) then d is -.

it can get more complex than needed if we think of the equator in this picture. all that is needed is what is above.

ie we do not need to consider such sophisticated questions as is a number getting more negative, getting larger or smaller.

Jim

- posted January 03, 2020 10:27 AM      Profile for Jim           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. I had a feeling I was making more of this than it was.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation