| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Open Ocean Variation Chart

Author Topic: Open Ocean Variation Chart
Jim

- posted January 03, 2020 10:59 AM      Profile for Jim           Edit/Delete Post 
Are there charts available that show Magnetic Variation for the Oceans? If so, are they accurate as it has been shown magnetic variation is changing quite a bit over the years. I believe Variation information would be needed to convert magnetic to true if navigating on the open ocean with a magnetic compass, sextant, plotting sheets, etc. Thank you
David Burch

- posted January 03, 2020 11:08 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Pilot charts have this on them, as do any other nautical charts of the ocean. It can also be computed with a program called geomag which is included in many GPS receivers so you get it from those devices. we also compute variation in the StarPilot www.starpilotllc.com

see also https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/calculators/magcalc.shtml which includes many resources.

Jim

- posted January 03, 2020 02:57 PM      Profile for Jim           Edit/Delete Post 
I had seen the Variation on the Pilot Charts but wasn't sure of accuracy as they are from the 90's and 2000's. If they show the annual increase or decrease then that will work. Thanks.
David Burch

- posted January 03, 2020 04:13 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
You can get updated mag var data at the link above, or at this page from the NGA

https://msi.nga.mil/MiscProducts

the nice plots they show are actually from the site above.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation