| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

search | help desk | commons

This topic has been moved to Cel Nav Student Discussion Forum.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Freiberger Sextants

Author Topic: Freiberger Sextants
Stoertebeker

- posted January 28, 2021 05:25 PM      Profile for Stoertebeker           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished the sextant chapter of the celestial navigation class and read somewhere that Freiberger is out of business or is no longer producing sextants. This is not correct. They currently produce two types of sextants. The Freiberger Yacht Sextant and the Freiberger Drum Sextant. Specifications for the sextants are available in English on their website https://www.fpm.de/index.php?lang=en for anyone interested. There are a few websites offering them in the US but I bought one of their drum sextants from the manufacturer directly a few weeks ago and it was shipped to Seattle with no problems whatsoever. There is obviously a lot of brands to chose from but I figured this forum would appreciate to learn about another choice.
David Burch

- posted January 28, 2021 09:52 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that note. These are indeed available and a good sextant.

Please let us know where you saw that reference and we will fix it. We are aware of the status of that company.

Our risk here is we have been teaching cel nav since 1978—as you will note from some examples—and this was an East German company, and we could have written something that was true at one time but certainly these things all changed a couple times in the 80s.

Stoertebeker

- posted January 31, 2021 04:48 PM      Profile for Stoertebeker           Edit/Delete Post 
Freiberger is mentioned in 2.2-1. Lecture on choosing a sextant. I just noticed that there is a disclaimer that the article needs an update. Thank you for the prompt response.
David Burch

- posted January 31, 2021 07:28 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
I have just updated the article on choosing a sextant. Thanks for reminding me that we have old notes like that still floating around. It was interesting to see what has changed since 2008!

In passing, it seems that you are in the online course, so this post is better off in the Student Discussion Forum. I will move a copy there and we can carry on there on this topic as called for.

All times are Pacific  
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation