| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

search | help desk | commons

This topic has been moved to Public Discussion of Emergency Navigation.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Sun rising angle

Author Topic: Sun rising angle
John

- posted March 22, 2021 02:15 PM      Profile for John           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been reading Emergency Navigation (2nd edition) and I have a question concerning the Sun rising angle table 6-1 on page 80

I understand the basics of amplitude and the method of determining it (for any date as described in fig 6.3). So if I’m using a latitude of 50 deg N then Max Amplitude is 38 as per fig 6.5 and then on 11 Nov (say) then the amplitude will be about 26 degs. That is the sun will rise at 26 deg south of east 116 deg from north

If I understand table 6-1, I enter a latitude of 50 deg (N) at the left and an amplitude of 30 deg along the top and thus get a rising angle of 34 deg
Why are there values for rising angle greater than the max amplitude for a particular latitude? That is a rising angle of 24 deg for a amplitude of 50 deg and a lat of 50 deg
Is there a formula for calculating the values in table 6.1?

John

- posted March 22, 2021 02:20 PM      Profile for John           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry just realised posted in wrong forum
David Burch

- posted March 22, 2021 03:06 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Thats OK. I will move this to Emergency Nav and we go from there.

All times are Pacific  
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation