| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Celestial Navigation   » Public Discussion of Cel Nav   » Lunar distance iterations

Author Topic: Lunar distance iterations
Lance

- posted March 28, 2021 05:03 PM      Profile for Lance           Edit/Delete Post 
In the StarPilot help file reference is made to an iterative process: "Note that to do lunars accurately an iterative process is required. Please see the lunars article posted at www.starpath.com for more information on this technique."

(The help file gave no hints that I could find on how many iterations are needed, but the image shows '10' selected so that's my go to number for now.)

I haven't found the article yet on www.starpath.com. Is it still on the site?

David Burch

- posted March 28, 2021 05:20 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Please look to see if you find that article amongst those listed on this page:

https://www.starpath.com/catalog/accessories/1874.htm

Lance

- posted March 29, 2021 01:50 PM      Profile for Lance           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, on re-reading, this should not have been posted as a new topic. (I couldn't delete my new topic.)

The page I think is referred to is linked from the page mentioned in the previous post via the menus topic: https://www.starpath.com/catalog/accessories/starpilot/lunar_method.pdf. It tells us " In the 89 and PC versions of StarPilot, we do these
iterations automatically, with the number of iterations input at the beginning of the process." I'm guessing 10 iterations are enough but I don't know how to to be sure.

David Burch

- posted March 29, 2021 08:08 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
If i recall you see the results after each iteration. When the result stops changing you are done.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation