| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Public Discussion of Inland and Coastal Navigation   » 1-6

Author Topic: 1-6
Sandy Englehart

- posted December 12, 2004 12:34 PM      Profile for Sandy Englehart           Edit/Delete Post 
i don't mean to nitpick but... i've got really good dividers but in question 1-6 i came up with 20 fathoms when set at 200 yards. i'm only concerned if both 20 and 30 fathoms are choices in the answer. also, how do you chose between 8.5 and 7 fathoms to the SW?
David Burch

- posted December 12, 2004 02:44 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
20 fathoms is correct for 1-6A. Thank you for finding that. I will post an error msg in the tech support. The picture is below:
 -

As for the 8.5 vs 7, we should also correct and clarify that answer. The numbers shown in that blue region are actual soundings in that shoal area within the 10-fathom contour. They vary from 7 to 10 with two values near our point of interest, 7 and 8.5. The best answer would be 8 ± 2.
 -

The main thing here is, there is a shallow 10f shelf on one side of the buoy and on the other the depth drops to some 50 fathoms in a matter of 300 yards or so.

Again, thanks for noting this discrepancy. It is important to question these answers if you do not agree.

Note if you have for now only the paper course and you want to work these problems electonically as illustrated here, you can purchase the e-chart supplement. Electronic charting is a valuable component of modern navigation.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation