| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

search | help desk | commons

This topic has been moved to Coastal Nav Student Discussion Forum.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Public Discussion of Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Course completion

Author Topic: Course completion
Festina lente

- posted November 25, 2015 07:57 AM      Profile for Festina lente           Edit/Delete Post 
I completed the course a few days back and immediately put much(very much) to the test of how well I listened. We took our newly purchased Tayana 52 (Festina Lente) and set off on a 40 hour journey from Annapolis Maryland to Upstate NY on the Hudson river (for the winter). I would say I used about 90% of the skills and most of the little "I'd do this" things you'd have in the course that weren't test material. We navigated at night through Chesapeake, Annapolis and Delaware Bay. Heavy weather which were 40kts winds and 10' seas in Delaware bay between 2-7am which may not sound like much but it was our first time on this vessel which made things interesting at times but our nav skills were dead on. Really made the difference especially the backing up of our electronic nav stations which one did fail at a crucial point (when is it not a crucial point). Great academic course and great value behind it. Only issue I had is in the very beginning of the course materials on the chart reading I could account for hours of searching for names of places vice lat and long. Maybe if I had the lat and long I could have started my problem quicker but there may be a madness to your method as you are the instructors. Still I thank you for making this course what it was and it paid of greatly this past week. See you guys again soon on the weather course when we chill a bit. Happy Thanksgivng to all.
David Burch

- posted November 25, 2015 09:34 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much for your report and kind words. We will copy this to the student discussion forum.

In the meantime, the standard way to find places is to look them up in the index to the Coast Pilot, which will then lead you to the discussion of a place along with usually a Lat-Lon, or location relative to some more prominent landmark.

All times are Pacific  
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation