| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Public Discussion of Inland and Coastal Navigation   » NOVA reminds us of a detail in electronic chart navigation

Author Topic: NOVA reminds us of a detail in electronic chart navigation
David Burch

- posted May 26, 2022 03:20 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
A topic we covered in depth sometime ago on YouTube has come up again, in a well done new documentary by NOVA about the grounding of the Ever Given in the Suez Canal. It just happens that they miss what I would consider the main point... which we stressed in a series of videos right after the incident happened.

The NOVA video confirms what we did, but it looks to me that our analysis has not been improved upon...

At the time of the accident, I was actually racing the Suez Canal Authority with our analysis, as they said they would publish the full analysis in 10 days. My thoughts were if we could get this right, it would be good testimony to the use of standard tools. But as it turns out, there is no official accident report, and none is likely to emerge, because the case was settled out of court and there was apparently a lot of bickering on the bridge that no one wants to pursue... but that is not related to what we cover.

Here is my note on this subject, which has links to all the videos involved.

http://davidburchnavigation.blogspot.com/2022/05/NOVA-note.html

This analysis was done with a nav program called qtVlm, in large part because it has a very nice simulator built into it. You can do the same thing with OpenCPN. It also has both a heading line that can be customized and a COG predictor line that can also be customized.

________

Please note that this subject matter is for your information only. It is not part of our present course. We do not cover electronic charting to this level in this course, which emphasizes paper charts and traditional plotting, with echarts being just an alternative way to do paper chart plotting.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation