| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

search | help desk | commons

This topic has been moved to Coastal Nav Student Discussion Forum.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Public Discussion of Inland and Coastal Navigation   » can i find the highest predicted tide

Author Topic: can i find the highest predicted tide
Skypickle

- posted January 24, 2024 09:34 AM      Profile for Skypickle           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to find the highest predicted tide for a location for the next month? 2 months?

For example, for Boston I went here
https://www.tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov./noaatideannual.html?id=8443970

got the annual printout and visually scanned to find a 12 foot flood tide on November 24. But how do I ask the NOAA website for all the days when the tide will be greater than 10.5 feet for example. I might have a draft constrained vessel that needs a minimum depth. So I would like to know when I can approach Boston safely for example.

This page for example,

https://www.tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov./noaatideannual.html?id=8443970

allows a threshold value but when I put in the threshold value, 10.5, and plot calendar, I get all the data

David Burch

- posted January 24, 2024 09:42 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure, but we can look into it. That threshold says "threshold direction" not height, so not clear what that is, till we look into it. Also has little meaning for the currents which are all reversing in their data.

One way to get what you want is plot the graph and then draw a line at the height you want.

Note that your solution of scanning the 4 pages of a years data is not so bad... with rough application of rule of twelfths.

David Burch

- posted January 24, 2024 10:42 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
I got the answer from NOAA and there is a way to do just what you want.

I will write it up shortly.

David Burch

- posted January 24, 2024 01:35 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
just noticed this was posted in the wrong forum. It has been moved to student discussion forum.

All times are Pacific  
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation