| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

search | help desk | commons

This topic has been moved to Coastal Nav Student Discussion Forum.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Public Discussion of Inland and Coastal Navigation   » Requirement to yield to ferries?

Author Topic: Requirement to yield to ferries?
TolaMarts

- posted April 10, 2024 09:03 PM      Profile for TolaMarts           Edit/Delete Post 
There is a discussion right now on one of the Puget Sound Facebook pages as to whether a sailboat is the stand-on vessel when encountering a ferry on a marked ferry route.

COLREGS 10(J) says that "A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the safe passage of a power-driven vessel following a traffic lane." Ferry lanes are not VTS lanes, are they? Note: I stay out of the way of ferries. But I'm wondering as to the "official" answer.

David Burch

- posted April 11, 2024 07:53 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent question.

Tied up at the moment, but will be back shortly.

What is the link to the discussion you refer to?

David Burch

- posted April 11, 2024 11:19 AM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
This link is a good summary:

https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler-news/collision-avoidanc e-understanding-right-of-way-to-avoid-certain-disaster

but since you are signed up for a course, I will move this topic to the Coastal Nav Student Discussion forum for more details as called for.

All times are Pacific  
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation