| my account | login-logout | resources | support | catalog | home | get webcard |

Online Classroom

search | help desk | commons
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Online Classroom   » Radar   » Public Discussion of Marine Radar   » radar reflectors

Author Topic: radar reflectors
sahulsizer

- posted February 03, 2008 03:13 PM      Profile for sahulsizer           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using the Davis Echomaster reflector for several years. Prior to the 2002 Swiftsure, I mounted it in the double catch rain position on the back stay. It worked this way for years, then suddenly last summer it started oscillating wildly in 25-30 knot winds, twisting the backstay (rod) rapidly. I could not find a way to stop the oscillation by changing the back stay tension or other means, so we ended up removing the reflector, which meant we had no reflector all summer to AK and back.

Another boat we know had a similar situation in the western Pacific; years of no problems then sudden oscillations. They destroyed a wire backstay before they could get it down.

I tried attaching the reflector to the flag halliard, but it dragged against the sail when we tacked, cutting the stitching on a seam.

I have the large trilens, heavy. I will be installing this on the mast if the rains ever stop.

There is an extensive report on reflectors from QinetiQ. I think the address is:
http://www.ybw.com/pbo/pdfs/radar_reflectors.pdf

Billy Gates and his cronies are screwing up the Web today and it won't download. I have a paper copy, and got the address off the web.

Also see www.MAIB.gov.UK for the accident investigation that initiated QinetiQ paper.

Steve Hulsizer

David Burch

- posted February 03, 2008 04:22 PM      Profile for David Burch           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much Steve for that information. The pdf seems to download ok at this end. If anyone else has similar or related experiences, please let us know.

Please keep us posted on your experiences with the tri-lens.

sahulsizer

- posted February 03, 2008 09:52 PM      Profile for sahulsizer           Edit/Delete Post 
When looking up the MAIB report mentioned earlier, the boat name is Ouzo. The ship is Pride of Bilbao.

Steve

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Starpath School of Navigation

Copyright, 2003-2021, Starpath Corporation